• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

Beowulf in Competitive PvP

Rudølf

Reaction score
WHAT?!? NO WAY, YOU WANNA USE BEOWULF ON COMPETITIVE PVP?!? WELL, WELCOME TO THE GANG!!!
Seriously. If you are considering on using Beowulf, glad to have you on board. ;_;
You see, Beowulf is... reeeelatively bad in competitive versus. He has tools, yeah! It's just that everyone else is flashier. Beowulf is part of the Bottom 7, close to or at the bottom of the barrel. I'm gonna assume you're a baby, zero knowledge about Competitive PvP at all, so bear with me!
P.s. I'm not the best Beowulf-er and all of these are just based off my experience.

Gameplay
BEOWULF IS A GRAPPLER!! You might not be that dumb, but just in case. Beowulf has the lowest combo count among the cast, but his hits pack a punch.
He's reaal slow—not the Cerebella kind of slow, his jabs and stuff. So he's at a disadvantage to almost the whole cast.
His CA, Hype Mode, helps extend combos. You can corner pressure opponents since grabs are unbreakable too!
Matchup
Small note: matchup is whoever has the advantage against the other.
Basing off of @HeckNation's MU charts, Beowulf has advantage against Painwheel and Robo-Fortune. He's at a slight disadvantage against Cerebella and Double, and pretty much dead against everyone else.
See Heck's MU chart. Not sure if he posted it in the forums yet. Hi if you're reading this, by the way. DON'T KILL ME I'M SORRY FOR PINGING—
Footsies
Small note: footsies is that awkward state where you and your opponent are fighting for an opening.
Beowulf can't G3>Backdash unlike the majority of the cast, so your game is G4>Block.
With Beowulf, the game plan is grab for the hype gain. Don't be too aggressive, since it'll get predictable, and hype mode isn't that fancy for the rush. If your route is guard breaks, bring Gigantic Arm and Hurting Hurdle.
Be careful when using sweep! It deals ok guard damage and meter gain on block, but make sure to use it only when the opponsnt at a range where it isn't punishable. Which is tricky.
ONLY use Hype Mode in footsies when you're going for the command grabs or to corner pressure!
/1/​

Last edited:
Reactions: Kontol Kuda

Rudølf

Reaction score
Moveset
Now we pick the best toys to play with for your dog—er, Beowulf. We pick the best moveset. Beowulf is a grappler, so it makes sense to bring at least one command grab.
It's highly recommended you bring a burst, since one or two full combos is enough to kill one character. BB3's arent the best choice because they either suck damage-wise, or there are better options. As for outtakes and taunts... COMPLETELY. USELESS.
The following moves are in order from best to worst.

Hurting Hurdle
Our number one juggle tool, the chair! It's like an S-tier move. It deals ok-ish damage on block, and catches the pesky speedsters. You'll need it for almost ALL of your combos, so it's a must-have.
Juggle>D2>Hurting Hurdle>D1>G2>Finisher
Midscreen. Midweights, Lightweights. Don't use D1 at ground start.
Airwulf
Deals good damage as a finisher. Airwulf connects well with Beowulf combos, so it's your go-to combo ender. The guard damage isn't so fancy, so don't even try it for that. It's not punishable from a range, so that's nice in case you accidentally whiff it. In that case, if you do, you are indeed a big baby. :b
Gigantic Arm
A finisher too, just that it deals less damage. It comes with its own perks, though! You corner the enemy, and it deals good guard damage among his other moves. Punishable on block, BE CAREFUL ON USING.
Launch>Gigantic Arm>D2>Airwulf
Lupine Pummel
Beowulf's best command grab by far! It deals good damage even without hype, but of course is better with it.
Wulf Shoot
Beowulf's special command grab! It's a hype gain on use, and double the damage of a regular grab, so nice! The approach, though... not so good. You'll have to make sure the enemy has no counter moves when using it.
Geatish Trepak
Beowulf's blockbuster command grab! I'd argue it's a wulf shoot beta, because it's only good in hype. The damage is sad.
Wulf Blitzer
The other juggle tool! Combo-wise, it's only good against lightweights, sooo you'll want to pass. But it has ok guard damage, so you can replace one grab tool to make Beowulf a guard-breaker!
I'm kidding. Don't do that. You'll fail.
Launch>D1>G2>Hurting Hurdle>D1>G2>Wulf Blitzer>D2>Finisher
Midscreen. Lightweights only.
Gigan Sweep
No. Please don't use this. IT'S HIGHLY PUNISHABLE. SAY YOU GET IT TO HIT THOUGH, BUT AT WHAT COST? The end.​
/2/

Last edited:

Rudølf

Reaction score
Combos
Beowulf's combos take up a looot of space. His finishers quickly send the enemy to the other side of the stage. Most of his combos require him to be at a specific part of the stage. Knockback on corner GREATLY affects the timing of his combos, which sucks.
Combos that require timing are harder to pull off in Competitive PvP, since, lag. ;_;
During Hype Mode, Geatish Trepak and his dash can go for follow-ups.

D1>G5>Launch>Juggle>D1>Sweep
If you have no resources to use, this is your best combo. Dash damages more than jabs, so try getting it in there as much as you can!​
G5>Launch>Juggle>D2>Hurting Hurdle>D1>Finisher
Midscreen. Midweights and Lightweights.
This is your go-to midscreen combo. It'll whiff if you don't consider timing when done near the opponent's side of the stage.​
G5>Launch>Juggle>D1>Hurting Hurdle>Timing+G2>Finisher
This deals less damage, but less likely to screw up when you're at the opponent's side of the stage.
Launch>Gigantic Arm>D2>Hurting Hurdle>D1>Finisher
Your corner. Certain midweights and lightweights.
If you do D1>G5 at the start of your combo, doing a D2 after juggle will whiff since it gets delayed. This combo is more of an alternate route if you ever use dash at start, plus it's two finishers in one combo! This doesn't work on characters like Cerebella and Filia.​
Launch>Gigantic Arm>D1>Airwulf
Universal.

Hype>Geatish Trepak>D2>Hurting Hurdle>D1>Finisher
Midscreen. Midweights and Lightweights.
When on Hype Mode, you can follow-up with a dash on Geatish Trepak. The follow-up works as long as the opponent isn't in corner!​
Hype>Geatish Trepak>D1>Hurting Hurdle>Timing+D2>D2>D2
Exclusively midscreen. Lightweights.
Knockback combos like these are hard to pull off and it takes practice! This is one of the other variations of combos Beowulf can do loop dashes out of (did I mention he can do that?).
/3/

Last edited: