- Oct 31, 2019
- Reaction score
I agree Parasoul is kinda boring, I really wish they did more with kreig. Maybe once we have all the origin stories we can get “Extra” stories explaining where the Parasoul family got there umbrellas, what Beowulf did as a wrestler before he faced the giant, what does double do all day. Maybe that’s a little boring, but I just want some more content at this point.After doing a bit of research, here is my two cents on the matter: It's probably umbrella.
Before I get into my thoughts on that, some info on why I think so (plus trivia for funsies)
Between the two main options we're looking at (Annie or Umbrella), Umbrella seems like the most likely choice.
- (Fun Fact) Umbrella's design was inspired by the U.S. salt-producing company, Morton Salt. Its products feature a young girl in a yellow raincoat wielding an umbrella in the rain.
- Due to Umbrella's mysterious connection to the Skull Heart, and the Trinity's desire for her to become the Skullgirl, Umbrella may be the only one to completely destroy the Skull Heart.
- (More fun facts)Hungern, the name of Umbrella's living umbrella, is the German word for "famine". This fits with the theme of the Renoir family's Living Weapons being named after the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
- Umbrella was the first possible DLC character to be revealed in the Indiegogo campaign, at $20,000. It has been stated that she is one of the characters who would need to be made playable for the canon Skullgirls storyline to be revealed.
- Umbrella was initially supposed to be a part of the launch cast alongside Squigly, but was moved to be a first-round DLC character because the team needed villains for the story.
Personally I prefer Annie and here is why: probably the most enamoring thing about Skullgirls to me is the character designs. Each character is unique with a fun and interesting personality. To the best of my knowledge, most players agree that Parasoul is the more boring of all of the playable characters in terms of her story and character being more stereotypical than the others. So onto Umbrella. Her personality fits her age (10-11 years), but that doesn't make her any more likeable. She's spoiled, rude, and inconsiderate. If I knew her personally I'd be putting her in a time out asap! In a game that's geared towards adults, more mature characters are usually better choices.
"What about Peacock!?" The difference between Peacock and Umbrella is Peacock is matured in some ways but still retains her child like personality. She has class, she's got a style that's unique and interesting, and who doesn't love classic cartoons? Adults like playing her because she is truly fun to play, but also because her personality is gold. Umbrella doesn't have all that going for her. In her defense, she does seem fun to play, but from what I read her living weapon behaves a lot like Samson with Filia. Big snappy mouth eats everything.
"Is there any circumstance in which Umbrella would fit better to the game?" Yes! In short: if she was older. To elaborate:But until then, playing a whiny character doesn't really appeal to me. What are your thoughts?after Parasoul defeats the Skullgirl she starts preparing Umbrella to take her down when she becomes the next Skullgirl. If Umbrella was older and more mature, preparing to fight and likely kill her older sister, now that would be interesting.
That aspect of the story is indeed interesting, but unfortunately often overlooked. Realizing a society which has been idolized by the character has major flaws is not an unheard of story. Cerebella has the similar realization but for her at least we get to see subtle hints of it.I'm shocked people find Parasoul boring! I've honestly always found her to be one of the most interesting characters.
The idea of a Good Guy inheriting an awful awful AWFUL Kingdom like the Canopy Kingdom, suddenly becoming aware of how awful it is and now needing to deal with that reality and fix it is fascinating to me!
lol, I foresee auto-correct doing this many Hungerns in the future. Just ask Squigly how many times people type "Squiggly"Hungarian
What about Double and Eliza?Currently we have:
Tank-type fighters: Big Band and Cerebella
Grapple king: Beowulf
Glass cannon: Painwheel and Filia
Ranged shooters: Peacock and Parasol
Health Expert + Ninja: Valentine
Robot: Robo Fortune
Cat: Ms Fortune
A ghost with ability to reincarnate: Squigly
they can be divided into further different categories also
We clearly have wide variety of players, I wonder in which category the next new player will go OR will it be an altogether in a NEW category?
The Brand New Character is so secret even we don't know what we're working on.