• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

OFFICIAL: Brand New Skullgirls Mobile Character FAQ

After doing a bit of research, here is my two cents on the matter: It's probably umbrella.
Before I get into my thoughts on that, some info on why I think so (plus trivia for funsies)
  • (Fun Fact) Umbrella's design was inspired by the U.S. salt-producing company, Morton Salt. Its products feature a young girl in a yellow raincoat wielding an umbrella in the rain.
  • Due to Umbrella's mysterious connection to the Skull Heart, and the Trinity's desire for her to become the Skullgirl, Umbrella may be the only one to completely destroy the Skull Heart.
  • (More fun facts)Hungern, the name of Umbrella's living umbrella, is the German word for "famine". This fits with the theme of the Renoir family's Living Weapons being named after the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
  • Umbrella was the first possible DLC character to be revealed in the Indiegogo campaign, at $20,000. It has been stated that she is one of the characters who would need to be made playable for the canon Skullgirls storyline to be revealed.
  • Umbrella was initially supposed to be a part of the launch cast alongside Squigly, but was moved to be a first-round DLC character because the team needed villains for the story.
Between the two main options we're looking at (Annie or Umbrella), Umbrella seems like the most likely choice.

Personally I prefer Annie and here is why: probably the most enamoring thing about Skullgirls to me is the character designs. Each character is unique with a fun and interesting personality. To the best of my knowledge, most players agree that Parasoul is the more boring of all of the playable characters in terms of her story and character being more stereotypical than the others. So onto Umbrella. Her personality fits her age (10-11 years), but that doesn't make her any more likeable. She's spoiled, rude, and inconsiderate. If I knew her personally I'd be putting her in a time out asap! In a game that's geared towards adults, more mature characters are usually better choices.

"What about Peacock!?" The difference between Peacock and Umbrella is Peacock is matured in some ways but still retains her child like personality. She has class, she's got a style that's unique and interesting, and who doesn't love classic cartoons? Adults like playing her because she is truly fun to play, but also because her personality is gold. Umbrella doesn't have all that going for her. In her defense, she does seem fun to play, but from what I read her living weapon behaves a lot like Samson with Filia. Big snappy mouth eats everything.

"Is there any circumstance in which Umbrella would fit better to the game?" Yes! In short: if she was older. To elaborate:
after Parasoul defeats the Skullgirl she starts preparing Umbrella to take her down when she becomes the next Skullgirl. If Umbrella was older and more mature, preparing to fight and likely kill her older sister, now that would be interesting.
But until then, playing a whiny character doesn't really appeal to me. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• Umbrella-Skullgirls-Tabletop-Cards-Dragon-Fgih.jpg
    Umbrella-Skullgirls-Tabletop-Cards-Dragon-Fgih.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 62
After doing a bit of research, here is my two cents on the matter: It's probably umbrella.
Before I get into my thoughts on that, some info on why I think so (plus trivia for funsies)
  • (Fun Fact) Umbrella's design was inspired by the U.S. salt-producing company, Morton Salt. Its products feature a young girl in a yellow raincoat wielding an umbrella in the rain.
  • Due to Umbrella's mysterious connection to the Skull Heart, and the Trinity's desire for her to become the Skullgirl, Umbrella may be the only one to completely destroy the Skull Heart.
  • (More fun facts)Hungern, the name of Umbrella's living umbrella, is the German word for "famine". This fits with the theme of the Renoir family's Living Weapons being named after the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
  • Umbrella was the first possible DLC character to be revealed in the Indiegogo campaign, at $20,000. It has been stated that she is one of the characters who would need to be made playable for the canon Skullgirls storyline to be revealed.
  • Umbrella was initially supposed to be a part of the launch cast alongside Squigly, but was moved to be a first-round DLC character because the team needed villains for the story.
Between the two main options we're looking at (Annie or Umbrella), Umbrella seems like the most likely choice.

Personally I prefer Annie and here is why: probably the most enamoring thing about Skullgirls to me is the character designs. Each character is unique with a fun and interesting personality. To the best of my knowledge, most players agree that Parasoul is the more boring of all of the playable characters in terms of her story and character being more stereotypical than the others. So onto Umbrella. Her personality fits her age (10-11 years), but that doesn't make her any more likeable. She's spoiled, rude, and inconsiderate. If I knew her personally I'd be putting her in a time out asap! In a game that's geared towards adults, more mature characters are usually better choices.

"What about Peacock!?" The difference between Peacock and Umbrella is Peacock is matured in some ways but still retains her child like personality. She has class, she's got a style that's unique and interesting, and who doesn't love classic cartoons? Adults like playing her because she is truly fun to play, but also because her personality is gold. Umbrella doesn't have all that going for her. In her defense, she does seem fun to play, but from what I read her living weapon behaves a lot like Samson with Filia. Big snappy mouth eats everything.

"Is there any circumstance in which Umbrella would fit better to the game?" Yes! In short: if she was older. To elaborate:
after Parasoul defeats the Skullgirl she starts preparing Umbrella to take her down when she becomes the next Skullgirl. If Umbrella was older and more mature, preparing to fight and likely kill her older sister, now that would be interesting.
But until then, playing a whiny character doesn't really appeal to me. What are your thoughts?
I agree Parasoul is kinda boring, I really wish they did more with kreig. Maybe once we have all the origin stories we can get “Extra” stories explaining where the Parasoul family got there umbrellas, what Beowulf did as a wrestler before he faced the giant, what does double do all day. Maybe that’s a little boring, but I just want some more content at this point.

I agree that the new character is probably umbrella and I would be thrilled if it was her. I really like the Reinhold family’s magical umbrellas and Hungarian definitely has the most personality. I think Hungarian differs from Samson in that Hungarian would actually eat people and spit them out, Samson does a lot of throwing around but only (I think) actually eats people fillias BB3. Hungarians style also leaves open a lot of possibility for gameplay, his charecter ability could be to leave piles of puke in the arena. Similar to Parasouls tears, but these puke piles inflict damage when stepped on and dry up over them. Just an idea but there’s plenty of potential. If you can’t tell, I really like Hungarian, maybe more than umbrella. Umbrella may be snotty but I’m sure that’ll come in handy for some great after battle dialogue.

Isn’t Annie in that new indivisible game, I know she’s in a different style. Do you think it would be easier to modify some of her moves to look more like Skullgirls or would they have to create a whole new Annie?

I'm shocked people find Parasoul boring! I've honestly always found her to be one of the most interesting characters.
The idea of a Good Guy inheriting an awful awful AWFUL Kingdom like the Canopy Kingdom, suddenly becoming aware of how awful it is and now needing to deal with that reality and fix it is fascinating to me!

I'm shocked people find Parasoul boring! I've honestly always found her to be one of the most interesting characters.
The idea of a Good Guy inheriting an awful awful AWFUL Kingdom like the Canopy Kingdom, suddenly becoming aware of how awful it is and now needing to deal with that reality and fix it is fascinating to me!
That aspect of the story is indeed interesting, but unfortunately often overlooked. Realizing a society which has been idolized by the character has major flaws is not an unheard of story. Cerebella has the similar realization but for her at least we get to see subtle hints of it.

The primary script that's really stereotypical with Parasoul is the princess with a tragic backstory having to do with her mom and she then becomes tough and guarded, but there are other reasons she's boring. Most characters in SG are either entertaining or relatable (sometimes both). Parasoul is neither really. She's the type of character who's there out of obligation (having a familial or strong relationship with the former Skullgirl) and her reaction to such a role makes sense but is painfully predictable. Her fighting style doesn't combine any of the interesting things about her, it's purely military and the fancy "sword" work sort of touches on her princess roots but not really. There's very little "princess" about her both in playstyle and behavior. In contrast, characters like Valentine and Peacock play off their character traits when they fight and speak. They're consistent, logical, and entertaining.
Parasoul doesn't have the same consistency and her reactions are rather flat. She's supposed to be a princess mashed with military style, but really only one is portrayed. Both of her "unique traits" (princess and a military general) are government related and positions of power. Ultimately, they're not that different in the SG universe. Looking at her character design, it would be hard to say she's either one actually. Her outfit and appearance don't really scream princess nor general.

From my personal opinion, Parasoul encompasses a lot of commonly used tropes and her personality isn't very interesting either. At the very least she's fun to play, but of all the SG characters I'd argue she is the least entertaining, relatable, and consistent. I'm probably not explaining this well, but I hope it makes some sense.

I'm also still in the "It's gonna be Umbrella!" camp. Until they give us another hint, here are some Umbrella predictions:

Palette Choices
umb.jpg
(Umbrella and Parasoul 3D art taken from RiRiLoLoArts1 on Twitter, like this thread)

Just as Summer Salt Parasoul is Umbrella colors, there MUST be a Parasoul colors Umbrella. Hungern becomes Krieg, the yellow raincoat becomes black, and the pink hair turns red. Easy!

But what other character colors? Perhaps from the gameplay inspiration section when Umbrella was a DLC candidate:
  • Holy Order Sol (Guilty Gear: Accent Core)
  • Wario’s fart (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) huh? :confused:
  • Roll (Marvel vs Capcom / Tatsunoko vs. Capcom)
  • May (Guilty Gear series)
  • Shuma-Gorath (Marvel Super Heroes)
Naming Variant Convention
Filia has hair puns and Squigly has death references, perhaps Umbrella can have ice cream flavors. Her default palette bronze will be light element and called Vanilla Umbrella. The Parasoul-palette Umbrella can be fire element and called Canopolitan Umbrella (a twist on the triple flavored Neapolitan ice cream and Canopy Kingdom).

Hungarian
lol, I foresee auto-correct doing this many Hungerns in the future. Just ask Squigly how many times people type "Squiggly"

“The Essential Three for canon story mode are Umbrella, Black Dahlia and Marie.”

Can we please get Black Dahlia before Umbrella or Marie?..

..but seriously, it’ll be great whoever makes it in when and if they do. I’m sure the devs can do all sorts of crazy things with Umbrella and Hungern, just in my mind I see a younger or child version of Parasoul. I personally don’t think Parasoul is the most unimaginative of the cast (hi beo) but I can appreciate the criticism of her being presented here...

Currently we have:
Tank-type fighters: Big Band and Cerebella
Grapple king: Beowulf
Glass cannon: Painwheel and Filia
Ranged shooters: Peacock and Parasol
Health Expert + Ninja: Valentine
Robot: Robo Fortune
Real life unbeatable, invincible Tom: Ms Fortune

Parasite that once ruled everything: Eliza let's dance, darling
A Nun with a deadly smile: Double
A ghost with ability to reincarnate: Squigly
*******: Fukua

they can be divided into further different categories also

We clearly have wide variety of players, I wonder in which category the next new player will go OR will it be an altogether in a NEW category?

Last edited:
200.gif

Maybe they plan to give Umbrella a ice cream truck blockbuster à la Peacock and play us all with it.

Reactions: Legendaryfonics
Currently we have:
Tank-type fighters: Big Band and Cerebella
Grapple king: Beowulf
Glass cannon: Painwheel and Filia
Ranged shooters: Peacock and Parasol
Health Expert + Ninja: Valentine
Robot: Robo Fortune
Cat: Ms Fortune
A ghost with ability to reincarnate: Squigly
*******: Fukua

they can be divided into further different categories also

We clearly have wide variety of players, I wonder in which category the next new player will go OR will it be an altogether in a NEW category?
What about Double and Eliza?

The Brand New Character is so secret even we don't know what we're working on.

Hmm... It's really hard to pin point on who's actually the "new fighter/character" and to think of it, anyone who's in the game could be the new fighter/character.

Or

They really don't know who's going to be the new one in the game and they're trying to (let's say) argue which is which or maybe even secretly gathering our suggestions/opinions on who's going to be the "most wanted" character/fighter to be added in the game. (Cause I know the Devs cares and listens with respect.)

Currently, we only have four actual villians who's in the game (Fukua, Valentine, Double and, Eliza).
In my opinion, I think another villian would make the game somewhat more interesting like Black Dahlia, Brain Drain, Marie, Aeon and,Venus Lovelace.

Here's a reason why:

1. If Black Dahlia was added, we would know more about Valentine's mysterious past and how and why she ended up with The Medici Mafia which also means more stories about the Medici Mafia.

2. If Brain Drain was added, idk I just wanted him to be playable cuz he's a villian dork who needs attention and love.

3. If Marie was added, there's going to be a boss fight of course and it could somewhat tell us more about Double's actions and The Skull Heart it self.

4. If Aeon was added, She's one of The Trinity who's capable of manipulating the time itself and we don't know much of her, I think this is a good opportunity if she's going to be in the game and we're mostly likely gonna get a glimpse of Double's past.

5. If Venus Lovelace was added, She's also one of The Trinity who's capable of bending the shape of space to compliment her sister Aeon's ability to control time itself. Same reasons why as Aeon being added in the game and interestingly we would know more about Eliza's Past like in her Story, Eliza killed her and Aeon.

Even though I'm still a new one and a not so stranger to this game because I've been searching and learning more about to this game.

How does a lvl30 fighter have such low ratings? O rhave I already forgotten what it is like having a lvl30 bronze?