1. [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy
    Dismiss Notice

A Big Band Tier List

Discussion in 'Big Band' started by theLoneskull, Oct 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pepperlunatic

Pepperlunatic Active Member

Not saying it is difficult to use taunt. I am saying it is not efficient to use move slot on taunt instead of using something more effective like blockbusters. Also, I must stress that I am not the only one who thinks epic sax is better than heavy metal in offense

2. Reshiram18

Reshiram18 Well-Known Member

But the trade-off here is that while you have fewer slots for blockbusters the blockbusters you do have (usually SSJ, Beat Extend, and Tuba Tuba) will do way more damage than what Epic Sax can dish out with those same moves because of a 50% max damage boost for Epic Sax compared to a 100% damage boost to the blockbusters for Heavy Metal with the armor active. Heavy Metal also has a slightly higher attack stat as well

theLoneskull likes this.
  3. Pepperlunatic

Here is the problem: You need two things to activate sa 2 and they are using taunt and hitting enemy with blockbuster. The main porblem is you only have about 15 second window to hit enemy with your blockbuster and that is it. After the armor is expired, you won’t have other ways to proactively use your sa 2 until taunt’s cooldown is done. Epic sax, on the other hand, does not have this issue of using taunt and use blocbuster before armor expire stuff while dealing damage consistently throguhout the match. Also, epic sax can get regens and other buffs that increases his survivability other than having 1 or 2 stack of armor that lasts 5 second when hit. The versatility and flexibility of epic sax literally out matches the clumsy and rigid play style of heavy metal even considering the stats.

Also, i know it sounds funny but thats all folks counters heavy metal

#23 Pepperlunatic, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  4. Reshiram18

The main counter to your argument here is that the level 15 taunt(yes it has to be level 15 to get the full 15 second armor buff) has a cooldown of only 10 seconds, which means your taunt will be ready to go 5 seconds before the armor has even expired. Also UV is a way better counter to Heavy Metal than That's All Folks

5. fanghoul

fanghoul Well-Known Member

I think the argument here is that equipping the Taunt means that you have one less slot to equip a move that deals damage, which is a significant opportunity cost for someone that can deal double damage with their blockbusters. Even with the taunt, unless your enemy attacks and leave you with an opening right away, you might still have the armor run out before you finish one of Big Band's longer combos. It's not an ideal set-up for offense in my own experience.

That said, I'm still glad I have both Heavy Metal and Epic Sax as diamonds. Epic Sax is the one that it's easier for me to find a use for and to use on average, but Heavy Metal fills a nice nitch for rift battles of being another character that can deal a ton of damage in a few hit if you set him up right. It's great for the immunity or armor nodes. The +5 stacks of regen node is another one where he's been getting a lot of use for me lately, because regen doesn't matter if you're already dead from a massively damaging Super Sonic Jazz.

I'd probably put Epic Sax ahead on offense, but they're both good in different ways.

Edit:
    Wow, a whole conversation happened while I was writing this :confused:

Pepperlunatic likes this.
  6. theLoneskull

theLoneskull Active Member

Its easy to use the taunt after plenty of Big Band's moves. But its best to use it after Cymbal Clash because it keeps the opponent far away enough to do it efficiently. Plus it has a chance to stun without being a BB

7. theLoneskull

Plus Take The A Train can give armor and could be used to fill in the slot the taunt could

8. Pepperlunatic

Like I said above, putting taunt that gives armor in an offense character is the problem not how easy it is to use it. It is doing something that can be done the hard and inefficient way. What about the take the A train? That blockbuster is used at the end of the combo so that is also theory-only stuff. My point is, if we are going to look at this big band tier list in a offense perspective, Heavy Metal should not be above Epic sax due to the clumsy and inefficient way to proactively trigger the SA2 that requires theorycraft-ish environment. Sure, Heavy Metal is better than Epic Sax in defense team but in offense team, he lacks versatility, simplicity, efficiency, utility which Epic Sax has.

Level 15 taunt is nonsense that is in the realm of theorycraft. Having a single level 15 skill is a troublesome work but level 15 on a taunt is... ...very unrealistic. The talk about That's All Folks is not a serious one but I was talking about how That's All Folks apply armor break when she gets hit which removes the armor you need which ruins the fun part. Consdiering that I was not talking about Heavy Metal on defense, it is very ridiculous to say that UV is a counter to Heavy metal in this conversation.

#28 Pepperlunatic, Mar 8, 2019
  9. xcapibara

xcapibara Active Member

Best, as in, the one who can spamm the most bb3s in a fight. My point is beatbox is better than robocopy and should be above him on the list simply for this reason.

10. fanghoul

fanghoul Well-Known Member

I think the way to define the difference between Heavy Metal and Epic Sax is that Heavy Metal has a much higher potential damage than Epic Sax, but in the least requires a quirky play style to get there, while Epic Sax will likely have a higher DPS over the course of a fight when in the hands of most players.

Heavy Metal requires a weird stilted style of play, which I find kinda reminiscent of how I play Primed: Being mostly defensive, then pounding out some big damage when you have the chance. Heavy Metal also requires a very different set of moves than you would put on most Big Bands, focusing on those that do a bunch of damage rapidly, rather than those that chain together.

I still think either could be more valuable depending on the situation. Sometimes the game rewards long combos, and sometimes it punishes you for them.

11. Reshiram18

I had thought that you were talking about using That's All Folks on offense against an opposing Heavy Metal when I made that little comment about UV countering Heavy Metal better

#31 Reshiram18, Mar 8, 2019
  12. ChaoticNeko

ChaoticNeko New Member

i find that (in my playing of solely beat box) beat boxes greatest weakness is unflinching. nothing absolutely screws him over more than being unable to constantly be hitting the oponent as a way out of his quick death. besides from that with enough concentration beat box is easy to play without getting hit so as to neutralize his greatest weakness

13. theLoneskull

Oh yea I forgot unflinching exists.
    Well honestly, that could be said for literally every character that doesn't inflict curse, so I wouldn't think too much about it