• [2018/06/22]
    By using our forums, and our in-game services, you agree to be bound by our Privacy Policy found here:
    skullgirlsmobile.com/privacy

The SHINY Siren Song

Will you commit all your resources to any SHINY?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No, rare trash is still trash!

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Wait, you got a SHINY? :(

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters

BallotBoxer

Reaction score
shiny01.jpg
shiny02.jpg
(excellent artwork taken from Skullgirls Mobile twitter, here and here, probably done by @Sairus )

For those with a lightning-strike level of luck who got a SHINY, I'm curious about what you did with it. Did you instantly jump to shiny transfer to reap in a ton of bonus XP to super-boost a duplicate? Or did you raise it from scratch, taking advantage of all the half-costs?

I think there is a kind of SHINY psychology on players. A "don't miss this chance" kind of fevered thinking that makes you pour your resources into the suddenly spotlighted variant you have been blessed with (depending on the variant, could the blessing be a curse?).

Behold, my three SHINY characters, that I dropped everything to advance:
shiny-trio.jpg

A natural diamond consuming a duplicate is an easy decision. Both Heavy Handed and Jawbreaker jumped 20-30 levels and their skill trees became a breeze. I hadn't used a key on them yet, but now they ware SHINY, it became an inescapable fact they must be invested. They skipped to the front of the line.

For Inner Pieces Eliza, I had one already level 50 gold, so it became "Gotta upgrade to diamond to get that XP!" The other gold Elizas are so mad!

So share your SHINY (is there a plural? shinies?) characters and what you did/will do with them.

mine is a rusty. sticked it to my maxed gold other normal rusty and thats the end of her. lol

Rusty is at least possibly worth taking to Diamond, just because she can come down like a sack of hammers on some of the best defenses out there (Meow & Furrever, Overclocked, etc. anything that depends on Last Stand or buffs that don't time out). She's actually can be invaluable for rifts.

Some people love Cold Stones for some reason but I haven't bothered to take him past Silver.

If I get a shiny of a variant I was planning on building up eventually, then yeah it pushes them to the front of the priority list. That's what happened with Phantom Threads early in 4.2; I had a choice between a non-shiny PT and Night Terror (I think? I got Vaporwave sometime early in 4.2 as well) after buying a 10+1 of cloned jackpots, but when I got the shiny PT a little while later I threw all my resources at her.

Not sure what I'll do if I get a shiny diamond, especially of one I've invested partially in or have leveled a lot. If it's a shiny dupe of one of the ones I haven't touched yet I'd probably keep the shiny and convert the regular, but what if I get a shiny dupe of one of the ones I've had forever and spent a key or two on? What do I care more about wasting: the spent keys if I convert the non-shiny or the essence I'd lose if I transfer the shiny? It's a tough choice to make.

Rusty is at least possibly worth taking to Diamond, just because she can come down like a sack of hammers on some of the best defenses out there (Meow & Furrever, Overclocked, etc. anything that depends on Last Stand or buffs that don't time out). She's actually can be invaluable for rifts.

Some people love Cold Stones for some reason but I haven't bothered to take him past Silver.
im the same with you but towards rusty. she is too niech for my taste. i have awesom attackers and even better pure and evil def cards, that are still gold. mama dont have essence to waste. not yet.

Reactions: fanghoul
im the same with you but towards rusty. she is too niech for my taste. i have awesom attackers and even better pure and evil def cards, that are still gold. mama dont have essence to waste. not yet.

That's fair, she was like #6 in my light evolution queue. In retrospect I might have moved her a little further up but I get that I'm giving advice from a standpoint where I've been evolving pretty low tier characters for a while now.

Reactions: tiffany butterfly
I've only pulled a Shiny Sheltered, but she was instantly put on my active list of leveling projects. She'll probably be Diamond next week!

I've opened about 150 plus relics since 4.3 hit and no shiny yet... but it's okay! Because I'm about to open 200 more and then I'll definitely get a shiny... right? ...right?!?!?

In all seriousness though, I think the level of investment would depend on what it is. A shiny hellcat is not enough to make me diamond one, but maybe I'll make it a pretty gold. All in all shiny's are about as good as what the usefulness of the fighter is. Cheap weak fighters are still weak even if they look pretty and cost half as much to invest in. So this is very RNG dependant.

In other news... a shiny IP....WHAT!?
That is legendary luck for the history books folks!

I also got Shiny Harle from last Bella PF reward, but my Harle is already lvl 59.9. Should I transfer anyway for the sake of posh sparks or build a second one?

After looking at above posts, I think I should delete my game and reinstall a new one. Because I think my "shiny" file is corrupted or something.
Since 4.3, I had opened around 300 relics but no shine (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.)

Reactions: Diony
I also got Shiny Harle from last Bella PF reward, but my Harle is already lvl 59.9. Should I transfer anyway for the sake of posh sparks or build a second one?

Honestly, Harley is such a good support building for Bellas, Doubles, and other SM spammers a second seems like a good idea. And you get her at half cost. I'd say dupe

mine is a rusty. sticked it to my maxed gold other normal rusty and thats the end of her. lol
Well, I actually want a Shiny Rusty sooo much! Mine is currently at lvl 50 Dia and I use her in every second Rift to deal with annoying buff-abusers, so, IMO, Rusty is definitely a Dia material (those timeless bleeds on Overclocked and M&F!). Forget about low raw damage and HP of natural Bronze, bleeds and Grudge are here to compensate.

I got a shiny Freaky Friday. What are the chances of pulling a shiney?

The chances of pulling a shiny:
Hidden Variable said:
Lastly, the odds of finding a Shiny Fighter are increased the higher the rarity the Fighter is. That means your odds of finding a Diamond Shiny are much higher than your odds of finding a Bronze Shiny, because you won't be acquiring Diamond Fighters as quickly as Bronzes!
source: 4.2 thread

So it kind of balances out. The more common the material, the rarer the shine and the more rarer the material, the more common the shine. (diamond has higher odds than bronze to be shiny)

Still mostly up to RNG though. Just look at @Lililira 's Hoarding Relics for Fukua! thread for some hard data. Hundreds of relics can be opened without a shiny surprise. (no Overwatch tweaked loot box system where odds of a Legendary increase after every 12 loot box)

Reactions: Disasterrr19
Been opening relics with unusual abandon for the last month, still got only my one shiny bronze Cold Stones to show for it.

I will give the Devs credit for making me much more invested in opening random relics again.

I'm still a noob. At first, I didn't know how shinies worked. I thought it was just like Pokemon where the aesthetics were different and nothing else.

Now I have a max-level shiny Xenomorph with Volatility though it took me a while to notice that she levels up faster and her skill tree costs less.

On a side note, I am legit jealous of the people with a shiny Cold Stones. I plan on taking mine to Diamond. Rn, my non-shiny Cold Stones is at Gold with Challenger.

Reactions: Splashmouse